A survey by American Express found 93 percent of consumers believe shopping at small businesses is important, and they’re putting their money where their mouths are by spending about a third of their discretionary income at local small businesses. Here are a few reasons you should join them by participating in Small Business Saturday this year.
- Get free money. For Amex cardholders, shopping local on Nov. 26 can net a $25 credit on a $25 purchase. Check out the Small Business Saturday Facebook page for details on how and where. (FedEx partnered with American Express to offer 40,000 $25 Amex gift cards to non-Amex customers too, but they ran out in about an hour.)
- Find something different. They often have unique items or services you won’t find in the mass retailers. These can make great gifts.
- Preserve unique places to eat, drink, and shop. That uniqueness can also help create a community character and a sense of place. Think of the reasons you like to travel – it’s probably not because the destinations have another McDonald’s or Walmart. Shopping at these stores helps keep them alive, and encourages new ones.
- Make friends. The service is often much better. More than 20 percent of consumers in the American Express survey listed being greeted by name and getting personal recommendations as the primary reason for shopping small. Local businesses depend on maintaining relationships, unlike the giants who sometimes seem too successful to care.
- Improve the community. Small businesses support the local area with their taxes, by creating jobs, and often by buying from and working with other local companies. Many also support local nonprofits
The Thorndale Area Chamber of Commerce, located in downtown Thorndale, TX is dedicated to promoting growth and economic development, advocating for sound public policy, and serving our members with outstanding programs and benefits in and around the Thorndale area.
We know that growing your business isn't easy. That's why we're here. Our single-minded goal is to help your business grow and prosper. By promoting a strong local economy, advancing the interests of the business community and serving our members, we can make our community an even better place to live, work and play. If your organization isn't currently a Chamber member we invite you to join now.
Our Website is now online! We invite you to explore this new tool to our Thorndale Area Chamber of Commerce. Check out our Chamber Members pages, Events Calendar and Photos of recent events. While you're here, take note of things you like or dislike and let us know what you think by sending us a message through our 'Contact Us' page.
GIVE US A LINK!
You can help us promote our new website (and your business) by giving us a link from your website. Show your chamber pride by adding the following text to the main page of your website.
We appreciate your continued support!